Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Mommy Rant

This post is for all those Mommies out there who are still under the illusion that their child is perfect.  Time to wake up.  He/she is not perfect.  He/she will make mistakes.  It is human nature to have flaws. 

For anybody who hasn't heard my cries for help... "Hi.  My name is Carry, and I'm raising a biter.  It's been 12 hours since her last bite."  My imperfect (but lovable!) daughter bit her cousin last weekend, her friend at school yesterday, and made Mommy her snack at tumbling class last night.  These are just three in a long line of victims -- sometimes innocent, and sometimes not so innocent, people who have fallen victim to Rylee's anger or frustration.

Rylee is a late talker who gets frustrated with her inability to express herself, and we're working with her to learn new ways of communicating her frustrations.  But I don't need to explain myself to you, and that's the point.  I'm tired of being judged by other mothers.  I'm tired of the looks, and I'm tired of the nasty commentary. 

Last night, after being bitten for the umpteenth time, I started some Internet research to see if anyone had come up with a winning strategy -- other than, "It's normal toddler behavior -- a phase that she will grow out of naturally."  Well, instead of a winning strategy, I stumbled upon a reputable parenting website with blog posts from angry parents who believe that "these children" (biters) should be expelled from daycare.  Other parents went on about the "bad parents" raising "biters."  Obviously, I'm more than a little ticked off. 

If "these bloggers" think that Rylee's behavior is in any way premeditated or that her father and I are supporting her behavior then they are mistaken.  I'd love to have them walk a mile in our shoes.  I think it would be a learning experience for them -- an opportunity for growth.  What would these perfect parents do differently?  We use "time out," we read "Teeth are not for Biting" on a nightly basis, we tell her "biting hurts" and suggest alternative ways to express her frustration.

My daughter is not perfect.  I am not a perfect parent.  She makes mistakes.  I make mistakes.  It's human nature to be flawed, but I love my daughter immensely and she loves me immensely.  We'll both wake up tomorrow and learn something new, and quite possibly, how to express anger and frustration in a constructive manner!

No comments:

Post a Comment