The other night, my husband came home from work to find me frantically making travel arrangements for my Mom. I half-heartedly apologized that I hadn’t had time to think about dinner – to which Chris replied, “Do you know how angry your grandmother would be to know that you’re making such a fuss about her when you should have been cooking my dinner?”
He said it to lighten the mood, but he was absolutely right. Grandma always put others before herself. She offered love and support and encouragement and asked nothing in return.
She was gentle, kind, compassionate, giving, often quiet, and self-less. Perhaps my favorite attribute was that Grandma had incredible strength and independence – a true feminist before the word turned ugly. She was well educated – had a career -- and CHOSE to be a housewife – once again because she ALWAYS put Grandpa and her family first. Her love for her family was, in a word, fierce.
She was straight-forward and honest. She was the Queen of the 10 minute conversation. Not because she didn’t want to talk or have anything to say, but because she always thought you should have something better to do than sit and talk on the phone. She’d say, “I know you’re busy, dear.”
The last few times I called her, she’d say, “I can’t talk now, dear.” And, I’d promise to call back. In our last conversation – the last words we would share – I called and again Grandma said that the nurse with was her, and she couldn’t talk. She added, “I’m not well.” I went on to say that I would call back when she was feeling better, but I wanted her to know that I loved her and that I was thinking about her. But it was Grandma who got in the last word. In her ever honest and straightforward manner, she said, “I know. I know. You’re thinking of me. I’m thinking of you. You love me. I love you. You don’t need to call!”
Ok, Gram. I get the message. My thoughts are with you and I will love you always. We don’t need to talk.

No comments:
Post a Comment