Thursday, January 29, 2009

Vying for Chris' Attention...

The Gerber Baby and I are already vying for Chris' attention!

My FABULOUS sister-in-law and I went to see the maternal-fetal specialist on Tuesday morning. The ultrasound was great, but the monitoring revealed some issues with the location of the cord, so Dr. Principe called our OBGYN and sent us directly to the hospital. The expectation was that we would be monitored for a while and then the baby would need to be delivered by c-section.

To our surprise, the baby moved during transport and was no longer lying on the cord (or whatever she was doing in there...) so the monitoring went well in the triage unit. However, Mommy was having a very elevated and erratic heart rate and my usual high blood pressure. I've been experiencing tachycardia for about a week (which is pretty normal for me) so I didn't feel the need to call the doctors and alarm them about it -- but regardless, I needed to be admitted and see a cardiologist.

While we were in the hospital, the baby was monitored every four hours for an hour. All of their observations went well (except one middle of the night reading that showed the same results that the specialist originally sent us to the hospital for...) Poor Chris -- one minute he's worried about this daughter and the next minute his wife... then his daughter... than his wife! Little does he know that we'll be vying for his attention for the rest of his life!

I was able to return home today with a heart monitor. It's small and not too uncomfortable. The worst part is the bed rest! I'm not allowed off of the couch and for me that's the worst kind of torture. I'm nearly 39 weeks pregnant, so we're hopeful that the baby will join us soon and I can start to medicate my other issues.

Thank you for your positive thoughts and prayers. Chris and I have had a scary few days and have a lot on our minds -- but not too much to cheer on the black and gold this Sunday. Go Steelers!!! BTW: The OBGYN is expecting our phone call around 4 PM in Sunday ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment